U.S. Hotel Brands Ranked by Chain Scale
Every hotel brand in the United States can be classified into one of six major chain scales or an independent brand. The following list shows each of these chain scales, as published annually by STR. We show several examples of brands in each chain scale here.
- Luxury – Conrad, InterContinental, Le Meridien, Park Hyatt, JW Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, W Hotels, and Waldorf Astoria.
- Upper Upscale – Autograph Collection, Canopy, Curio, Hilton, Hyatt Regency, Indigo, Kimpton, Marriott, Omni, Radisson Blu, Sheraton, Thompson Hotels, Westin, and Wyndham Grand.
- Upscale – AC by Marriott, Aloft, Cambria, Courtyard, Hilton Garden Inn, Homewood Suites, Hyatt House, Hyatt Place, Radisson, Residence Inn, Staybridge Suites, Tapestry Collection, Voco, and Wyndham.
- Upper Midscale – Comfort Inn, Fairfield Inn, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Home2 Suites, La Quinta, Motto, Moxy, TownePlace Suites, and Wyndham Garden.
- Midscale – Avid, Best Western, Candlewood Suites, Everwood Suites, Hawthorn Suites, Quality Inn, Ramada, Red Lion Inn & Suites, Sleep Inn, and Tru.
- Economy – Days Inn, EconoLodge, Knights Inn, Microtel, Rodeway Inn, Super 8, Travelodge, and WoodSpring Suites.
These examples are not comprehensive. But all U.S. hotels can be classified into one of these six STR chain scales or as independent. The following image shows a cheat sheet of major U.S. hotel brands that Hotel Appraisers & Advisors shares with out clients.